Saturday, 14 December 2024

Christmas? Sorted

 


Well, I’m pleased to say my Christmas Cards are now sorted. 

Personally? I don’t celebrate Christmas. Sure I observe it like everyone else around me, but I don’t actually celebrate it.

Gathering the family for a “special” meal together? Why? We can do that any other time, with a lot less pressure.

Giving gifts and sharing the joy? Why? Presents should be for children who appreciate things as they don’t have the same autonomy that an adult would have. A five year old appreciates a Lego set far more than a fifteen year old would.

And don’t get me started about celebrating a “White Christmas” while living in Australia and enjoying 35 degree (or higher) weather. 

Over all I find Christmas to be an overrated, hyper commercialised shopping event where people are pressured into buying manufactured goods, with money they don’t have, to impress people who generally don’t care.

BUT! It is a socially accepted time to reach out to family and friends with a simple card, just to let them know that you still have a place in your heart for them. Besides, it’s a nice analogue for Japanese New Year’s Day greeting cards.

Either way, it is in my calendar to organise with plenty of time to allow for international post. And that feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do

  Image Source PAKUTASO When a country says that they want skilled migrants to assist with a labour shortage and then increases visa fees by...